Sunday, August 14, 2005

The Insanity is spreading...

This article in the Times today, while not impeccebly written, shed much needed light on the limits women are facing internationally when attempting to obtain abortions. And I'm not talking about global gag rule consequences in sub-saharan Africa - we're talking Europe, people.

Europe, the continent many of us look to for guidence in their policies on universal healthcare, labor laws - and giving women freedom of choice. I remember growing up, my mom always telling me that, if we ever had to, she'd take me to France to get an abortion. (She wasn't totally serious - but the idea is there.) And, while the article talks mostly about eastern European countries with strong ties to the Vatican and post-communism economic woes- not France or the UK - what concerns me most is the influence of American policy. It's not unthinkable that US anti-abortion groups are beginning to send money and propaganda overseas - but its definitly unsettling.

On a related note, I'm contemplating volunteering for a group called the Haven Coalition - they are a wonderful organization and define grassroots activism. Lately I've felt a bit stalled in my attempts at change- yes I've been reading, growing intellecually in my beliefs, sharing them with others - but I'm never left compelty full. Haven is basically a network of women in New York who agree to host other women who travel to NYC to obtain second trimester abortions. Many of these women are young and spend all their money on the procedure and getting to New York, and don't have a place to stay for the two days they have to be here. Haven connects these women with a host - who agrees to take her to the clinic, pick her up, have dinner with her, and give her a place to lay her head. I think it would be a wonderful way to meet other women, share their stories, learn from each other - and grow in sisterhood. Becoming a host would also force me to push my own boundries - welcoming a stranger into my home has to be a challenging experience, but one that I'm sure is equally rewarding.

What intrigues me the most about the possibility is that it will force me to enter full force into the world of activist. This isn't a gender studies course or a letter writing night - this is someone's life. This is opening the door to a woman who needs you...who is you.

Anyway, time for bed.

1 Comments:

At 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lauren,

If you want any further information about Haven, I've been a volunteer for them for the past year. If you aren't ready to be a host, they also have what's called a "coffee-shopper" position, where you pick the women up from the clinic and either sit with them in a coffee shop until the host can come and meet you (usually about an hour), or transport them to the host's apartment. It's an important component of Haven, but not as intense as hosting, particularly if you're still in school and your time is limited.

Volunteering for Haven has been one of my favorite things I've done in my life. It's been an amazing experience, and I'd really recommend it. Let me know if you have any questions!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home