Wednesday, August 03, 2005

I'm watching the Today show, and am again, fuming at the ease Katie Couric throws out her moral judgments. I'll find a link to the story later, but basically, there is a Catholic school teacher in upstate New York (a woman) who is being charged with raping two 16 year old students. The students came forward at some point and said they had sex with her (not sure how it unfolded.) She was found in a car with a student in June, but he was 17, which is the age of consent in New York. Now, I'm not going to go into details about whether or not I think this was rape, if it was consentual, etc-- what I was upset with was how Couric categorized it. She said, "This is a deeply troubling case. A married teacher, mother of four, married to a prominent banker" she might as well have said, "why the hell would she do this?" I don't know why she did it. It was a pretty irresponsible decision - but the pure fact that she's married with four kids sure doesn't hold up. I mean, come on, are we really still in that place where we say to women, "you're married, you're a mother, what more could you want?" If this was a male teacher - while I believe the media would be painting a picture of a pediphile, sex addicted man - what they wouldn't be saying is, "but he's married with four kids - why on earth would he want to have sex with beautiful young women?" It's the bitch of a double standard. And while I'm not condoning her actions, Ms. Couric should know better than to think that marriage + family always equals complete satiety.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home